When hiring any social media manager to take the lead role in your campaigns, it is essential that you find the right person because they will be representing your brand.
If you are an organization that deals with a great number of social issues, a person’s lifestyle and online presence may have a huge effect on choosing the right candidate.
List the qualities and skills that you consider the most important must have’s for your brand and narrow your candidate choices based on those factors.
When you have narrowed down your choices, prepare what you want to know in advance, so you will already have an idea of what type of individual you are looking for.
Here are things that you may wish to consider asking when you interview them:
- Do you feel comfortable taking the lead role in creating projects alongside our other departments in order to gain valuable company experience?
The answer to this question is vital because many social media managers do not understand SEO principles and this can cause a huge conflict if the posts and content they are posting is effecting SEO and vice-verse.
These two departments need to work seamlessly together for effective marketing to take place.
- Do you like to work in a variety of different inbound marketing arenas?
If the social media manager is only able to post to platforms, but lacks skills in basic design, email marketing and content areas, they creator community will not always be the best choice for your company.
Social media marketing involves a great deal more than just posting. Posting is what virtual assistants do, not managers. Managers should posses at least some of the skills that are listed in the job specific details below.
- Are you up to date on today’s latest on line trends? Are you energetic, creative and resourceful? Do you work well with others and are comfortable taking some direction?
This question is very important as the position requires the person to get along with others and find a variety of creative approaches in order to get the job done.
Social media marketing plays an integral role in assisting the corporate management team with overall brand strategy and requires the individual to communicate, promote and implement future marketing strategies through a variety of in bound marketing concepts.
These inbound marketing strategies may include some or all of the following skill sets; graphic design, e-mail marketing, promotion, SEO content, event planning and other services and tools that the company utilizes in order to maximize its brand initiatives. If the candidate is not able to utilize a variety of different applications, software and mediums, it is unlikely that they will be effective.
Many workers in this field think they are managers, just because they post on platforms, this is not so. They do not understand the concepts of marketing, they are only engaging, there is a difference!
Specific Skills Required to be a successful manager:
- Social media marketing candidates should be expected to have some of the following personal skills:
- A strong understanding of branding products and customer service.
- Excellent communication skills, and the ability to sell ideas through a variety of different means.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic design and graphic skills.
- A strong understanding of online marketing concepts such as video marketing, social media, email marketing and content creation.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills, as well as, the ability to adopt the style, tone, and voice of the brand’s blog platform.
- Excellent organizational skills to be able to work independently and manage projects with many moving parts.
- Be sociable and engaging with other people.
- Possess exceptional leadership and group building skills.
- Socially responsible, humorous and open minded.